This is How I Roll: Spicy Tuna

Sushi.

You know I love Asian food. I could eat sushi every day. I've tried making it for years. And now I will dare say, I've found my own easy way to make it and I'm extremely satisfied.

Last night I walked in the door from work, kissed my handsome (and now famous) husband for him to say, "What's for dinner?" at 9pm. I was about to say, "It's too late to eat now" but as my stomach growled I realized I could eat too - and I wasn't sleepy - I work at a coffee shop for heaven sakes.



If you are a sushi lover and cook and want to try it at home for the first time - use these instructions. I have provided links to the few ingredients I use so you can order them from Amazon if desired. It took me a long time to figure out exactly how to get the spicy mayo perfect, and it makes a HUGE difference on the final product, so I encourage purchasing the ingredients. They last for a long time and can be used in other Asian dishes.

Seaweed can be found in most grocery stores these days, but you can also find it on Amazon. If you don't like the taste of seaweed, try soy paper, which can be found here.

I pulled a 1/2 lb tuna steak from the freezer (which I buy frozen / sushi grade from Brunos) placed under running cold water, threw 1/2 cup Jasmine rice on the stove and prepared my spicy sauce with 1/2 cup Vegenaise, 1 tbs Eel Sauce and 1 tbs garlic chile sauce.

I cut the tuna into thick strips and added 1 tbs rice vinegar to rice. Normally I allow the rice to cook before I assemble, but last night I was in a hurry and it turned out fine even with warm rice. Using plastic gloves while assembling helps so the rice doesn't stick to your fingers.

Many people use bamboo mats to roll sushi. I don't. I find it easier to place a piece of clear wrap under a piece of seaweed (shiny side down), spread a small amount of rice on top, lay tuna pieces across center and top with spicy sauce.

See the picture below. The roll will be too thick if you cover the entire seaweed with rice, so scatter it instead.




Pick up clear wrap and folding one end of the seaweed over the assembled fish and sauce, almost tuck it underneath the fish and begin to roll. Once your roll is complete give a light squeeze across the entire thing and slice into 1 1/2 inch pieces with a sharp knife with clear wrap intact.

Gently pull clear wrap from roll and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the sushi. We inhaled it! Next time I make sushi I will post them, I promise.

Comments

Popular Posts