These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Sauteed Green Beans and Onions with Bacon. This was my college roommate's favorite dish - so Emily Caples, this is for you! I think of her every time I make it. This is always a hit; I made this for a family dinner serving 9 recently (of course I doubled the recipe to reserve enough for left overs!) I paired it with cheese stuffed chicken breasts and risotto. I'll share those recipes next.

For the Green Beans:

1 pound green beans, trimmed and halved
9 oz bottled cocktail onions, drained
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tbs cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook green beans in boiling water for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water and drain.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 tbs drippings in pan; crumble bacon, and set aside. Add onions to drippings in pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and thyme; cook for 3 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add the beans, and cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Stir in crumbled bacon just before serving.

Serves 8

I have made this with regular onions before and it is good, but there's something about those browned round vinegary pearl onions that make my mouth water. Every extra cent spent on the jarred cocktail onions is worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts